Monday, January 23, 2012

Zucchini Stir Fry

I have recently been seeing a nutritionist who has put me on a plaeo-ish diet. No dairy, no processed grains, and NO sugar. Eeep! How is a cheese, noodle, and sweet treat loving girl going to survive?!? Today is day 5 of this little food adventure. I found a great recipe on Perry's Plate for Pesto Zucchini 'Spaghetti', it looks delicious! But alas it contains cheese, and bacon (I'm not much of a meat eater). So this is my asian-style vegan version.



Zucchini Stir Fry

2 zucchini's, julienned 
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1/2 red pepper
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 tsp rice vinegar
1/4 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove
salt & pepper
olive oil

quinoa (optional)

Directions:
Place zucchini in a colander over the sink (or a bowl). Sprinkle salt over zucchini and toss to combine.

Mix balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, and 1-2 teaspoons soy sauce in a small dish. Set aside.

Put olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium pan, over medium heat. Cook until garlic softens. Add broccoli, red peppers, and about a teaspoon of soy sauce. Stir frequently for 3-5 minutes, until tender.

Squeeze excess water from zucchini and place in pan with broccoli and peppers. Stir. Add vinegar-soy sauce mixture and stir frequently for 2-3 minutes; just enough to warm zucchini.

Serve over quinoa.

Tast great fresh out of the pan or at room temperature.

Serves 1-2. (I ate all of it for dinner, but I think I could share it as a light lunch)




No comments: