Friday, March 9, 2012

Coconut Almond Bars

In my search for gluten free snacks I found a great recipe on Elana's Pantry for Coconut Bars, they really are delicious! I decided to combine the coconut bars with my love of almonds. What came out were these delicious coconut almond bars.



Coconut Almond Bars
(adapted from Elana's Pantry recipe)

1 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup of coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup almond butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1/8 teaspoon stevia
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips


1. Mix coconut milk, oil, honey, almond butter, vanilla, almond extract and stevia in a food processor or blender. (I used a blender)
2. Add almond flour, coconut flour, 1 1/4 cups of coconut, and salt. Mix well.
3. Add eggs. Mix.
4. Pour mixture into greased 8x8 Pyrex dish. (I use a thick layer of coconut oil)
5. Sprinkle on remaining coconut and chocolate chips.
6. Bake at 350ยบ for 30 minutes. (I have left them in longer, up to 45 minutes, seems to just make them firmer)
7. Cool for 30 minutes, then place in fridge and serve after chilled. (This step is very important!)

No comments: